Monday, February 4, 2013

Antalya

So if it hadn't quite sunk in that I was in Turkey, it did this morning when I woke up at 5:30am and thought I could catch the end of the Super Bowl (which I wasn't watching for the first time in about 35 years). I wasn't able to find a broadcast of the game but did find the winning score on the internet about the time that the call to morning prayer at the nearby mosque, blared from loudspeakers and echoed through the city.

I had slept well after a busy day and a half without sleep. After arriving the previous (Sunday) morning and checking into the hotel our guides took us on a walking tour of Antalya, a city of about 1 million. Like many cities, it has a rich history with Roman and other influences. The photos below are of the view from the hotel balcony, the arch to the old city and views of the Mediterranean and the sheltered harbor surrounded by cliffs that first attracted settlers to this area.







1 comment:

  1. Glad you're having a good trip. I can't wait to see more pictures!

    ReplyDelete