Sunday, April 11, 2010

Phil Mickelson -- guts of a champion

Anyone who had the stamina to slog through my 2009 US Open blog knows what a big Phil Mickelson fan I am, so I'm thrilled that Phil has won his 3rd green jacket. With all that his family's been through, it was great to see him pull it off and though in the end it was a three shot victory, he did it in classic heart-in-your-throat Phil fashion. Anyone who saw him saving par from the penetentiary on holes 9 through 11, let alone the "please don't, great shot" second shot on 13, knows what I mean.

Before Phil's wife and mother were diagnosed with breast cancer last year, Phil's win today would have been all about exorcizing the demons from the 2006 US Open 18th hole debacle at Winged Foot which came only a couple months after his last Masters win. But today was more about the feel good story of a bright spot for a family for whom everything, including winning major championships, has been put into perspective. Phil's long, silent hug with his wife behind the 18th green spoke volumes, and in listening to the post-game coverage, I haven't heard Winged Foot mentioned once.

My fanaticism for Phil notwithstanding, those of you who were privy to my 2008 pre-blog Masters treatise (when I stalked Fred Couples in the first round on his way to missing his first cut ever at Augusta) also won't be surprised I would have loved to see 50-year old Fred Couples win, perhaps more so than Phil (provided Phil didn't blow it). It's a simliar feeling to Phil's win in 2006, when Phil won but Fred was in contention. And with Fred's record at Augusta, and the ridiculous start (3 wins and a second in 4 starts) he's had on the Champions Tour I wasn't at all surprised he was a factor. And though he finished 6th, he was only 2 back after making a birdie at 9. A good showing and I was impressed that even after losing any realistic chance with a double at 12, he birdied 13, 14 and 17 on the way in to finish with a 71.

So if you follow my logic here, the only that might have topped Phil's victory, is a victory by Fred Couples. And the only thing that would have topped that, would have been an improbable victory by Tom Watson.

Time for a tip of the hat to Tom Watson. At 60, he finished in the top 20 and was one stroke off the lead after a first round 67, tying his career best at Augusta. I still can't bear to think about his near-miss at the British Open last summer, but the fact he's still competitive with the younger players is an inspiration to those of us to whom 60 used to seem old and now think that may be the next time we'll play golf with any frequency.

Tiger's return -- I'm glad Tiger's back. I wasn't rooting for him (not that I ever did), but certainly wasn't rooting against him. He played very well after such a long lay off, and the pre-tournament press conferences showed a contrite Tiger where he expressed regret for the issues in his personal life. In addition to the return of Tiger's exciting and amazing golf game, shooting 69 without his "A" game in the final round, as the week went on, you also saw the return of the insolent Tiger who always seems annoyed with the media, doesn't agree with the premise of interviewer's questions, and provides only abrupt responses to the press. I missed his playing but I didn't miss his post-round attitude. And while Tiger's not one to gush, just one, "Gee, I really appreciate the welcome I've had here at Augusta," would have been nice. Maybe I missed it.

It's another classic difference between Phil and Tiger. Sure, Phil sometimes gets uppity with the press, but he spars with the press good naturedly, and he gives much more of a look behind the curtain and more interesting quotes, even when delivering the abbreviated response. And he came up with one of the best quotes ever in response to the question (in reference to his daring shot from the pine straw to the 13th green) of what the difference is between a great shot and a smart shot. "A great shot is pulling it off under pressure while a smart shot is not having the guts to try it."

'Nuff said. Congrats Phil.

No comments:

Post a Comment