Wednesday, June 17, 2009

What's in a name?

As the hole following the 19th hole, the 20th hole is the place you go after the clubhouse grill closes and you get asked to leave (translation: get kicked out). It's where big drives and holed putts get longer and your partners' shanks get shankier. I'd like to say it was my first choice as a blog name, but the truth is flog (golf backwards) and 19th hole were taken, but now I'm glad because it's a better name and certainly more original.

As I write in the description, it's a home for all things golf, but we'll let that figure itself out.

My first entry is appropriately being written on Long Island the night before I attend the opening round of the 2009 US Open at Bethpage. Though the weather forecast is lousy, I can't wait, which is probably why I'm blogging (note to self no more self references to blogging) instead of getting some sleep before my 5:45 am wake up call.

I'm a Phil Mickelson fan. I'm not the fawning, hero-worshipping kind, I'm the oh-my-gosh-yer-killing me again, love to root for him, but sometimes can't bear to watch fan (think 2006 US Open, whch fortunately I had it on DVR and watched in about 4 minutes -- I still don't wear my
Winged Foot US Open hat).

Like everyone I was taken aback by the annoucement of his wife Amy's breast cancer. The reaction since then has been heart-warming, especially the "pink out" at the third round of the Colonial.

I always have mixed reaction when the public has a huge response to public figures like that -- it's great to support the Mickelsons, but what about the millions of other women and their families who are battling breast cancer. I like to think the public reaction for Amy Mickelson is a proxy of support for all women and their families in those circumstances so to the extent it brings more awareness and resources to the fight, all the better.

I don't think it's a coincidence in recent weeks, besides the pink out, pink attire has become more prevalent on tour among players and fans. Not to be outdone, I bought a pink shirt earlier this week to wear tomorrow. Not too heavy on the pink, the shirt is a navy and pink striped number, but my support will be obvious enough. Hopefully it won't be hidden under my rain jacket all day.

Pretty heavy stuff for the 20th hole, huh? Well maybe the 20th hole is where you get into the
(long-winded) heavy stuff after getting your giggles out at the 19th hole. Perhaps I'll change the blog name to the 21st hole where you're exhausted and incoherent from a long day of golf and apres golf -- or maybe not.

So what's in a name? We'll find out as I had had dinner tonight at a place called Phil's restaurant in Wading River, (which looked like it might make a good 19th or 20th hole) so hopefully along with my pink shirt it will bring some good golf karma for the other Phil.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. Glad you're going to capture at least a fraction of your golf musings here.

    ReplyDelete